Sandra Dee :
Imitation Of Life (1959)
- Drama, USA, 1959, color, running time 125 minutes
- Based on the novel by Fannie Hurst
- Screenplay by Eleanore Griffin and Allan Scott
- Producer: Ross Hunter
- Director: Douglas Sirk
- Studio: Universal International
- Lana Turner: Lora Meredith
- John Gavin: Steve Archer
- Sandra Dee: Susie (16)
- Susan Kohner: Sarah Jane (18)
- Juanita Moore: Annie Johnson
- Robert Alda: Allen Loomis
- Dan O'Herlihy: David Edwards
- Terry Burnham: Susie (6)
- Karen Dicker: Sarah Jane (8)
- Troy Donahue: Frankie
- Mahalia Jackson: Choir soloist
In 1947 on Coney Island, down-on-her-luck actress (and widow) Lora Meredith
and her young daughter Susie meet black Annie Jackson and her
almost white daughter Sarah Jane. Annie is desperate for a place to
live and offers to work as Lora's maid for food and lodging.
Lora can't afford to have a maid but she invites Annie and Sarah Jane
to stay overnight, and soon the four Ladies form a poor but happy
foursome, even though Lora couldn't find work.
Photographer Steve Archer, who took pictures of Susie and Sarah Jane
at the beach, watched Lora inviting Annie to stay with her.
He is fascinated by Lora and her kindheartedness and becomes a
frequent and dear visitor.
To Page 2